Sunday, April 11, 2010

Quebec Adds User Pay Charge for Health Care

I am furious.

The Canada Health Act says:

User charges
19. (1) In order that a province may qualify for a full cash contribution referred to in section 5 for a fiscal year, user charges must not be permitted by the province for that fiscal year under the health care insurance plan of the province. 

Apparently Quebec didn't read that part of the act. In that province's latest budget they introduced a $25 user fee for each doctor's appointment. Are you freaking kidding me? This terrifies me. It's one of the things that I hated about living in the US. $25 might not sound like a lot to some people, but to someone living below the poverty line it might be the difference between going to the doctor or having food for a week. Even for some middle class families it's more than they can manage. Think about my family: I have four kids. If all of the members of my family were sick at the same time, including my husband and I, that's $150 to go to the doctor! And to possibly be told "It's just a virus. Drink lots of fluids and get some sleep."

I will say that having lived with co-pays in the States I do think twice before running to the doctor, but I don't like it, truthfully. My son was showing signs of an ear infection. Since the thinking now is that most ear infections are viral, I decided to wait it out. His eardrum ruptured.

The Canada Health Act is one of the most fundamental parts of this country. It's one of those things that we trumpet as making us better than *ahem* other countries without universal health care. The fact that NO ONE at the federal level has said anything about Quebec's decision is troubling. Not even the NDP! Seriously??? Jack Layton, who is currently undergoing cancer therapy using Canada's universal health care system and paying NOTHING, thinks it's okay to start down this slippery slope?

I realize that the healthcare system is hurting. I'm not naive. There are changes that need to be made. This is NOT one of them. There will be those who can't afford to go to the doctor for troubling symptoms. They will wait until they simply cannot wait anymore. Isn't this going to cost more in the long run? I know a woman in the US who had ovarian cancer. She is supposed to follow up every six months. She never has, because she can't afford the cost of the ultrasound. Is this the route we want to take?

4 comments:

  1. Knowing Quebec though, you'll get most of it back, esp. if you need it, have large family etc. They pay a lot less for prescriptions etc than Ontarians do. I was pretty impressed by what Quebeckers get when I moved there. I'd have to see more details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite possible, you're right. I was actually kind of surprised by this, because I've always been impressed by Quebec's social policies (eg daycare). Still, it IS charging a user fee, which is against the Act, and no one is saying anything. I don't like where this could lead in other, not-so-progressive provinces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if they do get it back, you still have to come up with the money in the short-term. And when would they actually get reimbursed for it... in their taxes? If that's the case, then what if they end up owing money on their yearly tax return, is it then "well, too bad so sad. You owe us money anyway..."
    I get reimbursed through my private insurance through work for extended benefits. But sometimes it's difficult to come up with the money in the first place - and we're considered middle-class. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone living below the poverty line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly my point, Janice. Sometimes the long-term benefits don't matter much when the short-term pain is worse.

    ReplyDelete