Tuesday, April 20, 2010

$750 for a Heart Attack in a Bowl!

The World Poutine-Eating Contest is going to be held in Toronto on May 22nd.

Okay, this is all kinds of wrong:

1) You're having a poutine-eating contest in TORONTO?

2) You're having a POUTINE-EATING CONTEST?

3) Seriously? POUTINE?

For those of you who don't know what poutine is (and I'm guessing you're American - ha!) it's pretty simple in its obnoxiousness: a bowl of french fries, covered in cheese curds and gravy. Yes, that's really what it is. Depending on who you talk to, it's either heaven in a bowl, a heart attack waiting to happen or a culinary abomination.

Personally, I love poutine. I also love living, though, so I don't indulge very often. I still remember my first exposure to the stuff. I was in Quebec City, on a cultural exchange when I was fourteen. My "twin" and her friend brought my friend and I into the city from the suburbs where they lived and dragged us all around until far too late at night. For skinny girls, could they ever EAT. Crepes with ice cream and poutine, all in one night. I still remember sitting there, mouth probably wide open in shock, while they devoured the greasy concoction. They asked if we wanted some. We were disgusted, and declined.

It was several years later before I actually tried it. In my opinion, nothing can be wrong when smothered with cheese or chocolate, so I loved it.

Still, a poutine-eating contest? I have to wonder how many contestants will keel over right there at BMO Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment