Saturday, April 3, 2010

Alas Poor Boston Rob, I Knew Him Well

I am not an avid Survivor watcher. I watched the first season and enjoyed all that naked fat guyness. The second season was much better, in my opinion, if for no other reason than good ol' Colby (yum!) I think I watched a little bit of the 3rd season, but definitely not the whole thing.

I didn't watch again until the All Stars Season, which was when I was first introduced to Boston Rob. Rob Mariano, he of the thick Boston accent and an arrogance unseen since Custer declared that he could win at Little Big Horn. I watched in awe as he maneuvered his way around his opponents, creating, shifting and breaking alliances in such a way that no one seemed to think it might be a good idea to be RID of him. He made it to the final two, dragging his ally Amber Brkich with him. The bitter jury members would have rather awarded the $1 million to Pol Pot than to Boston Rob at that point, so they gave it to Amber.

In fact, take a look at this video of Tom, and just how bitter he was towards Rob:



However, in true Boston Rob style, he may not have officially won, but he still got the last laugh: he proposed to Amber, and the two of them took home the top two prizes together. They married in April, 2005 and now have a baby daughter, Lucia Rose.

I watched them on two seasons on The Amazing Race. Then they seemed to disappear. I haven't watched Survivor since that All Star season, but when I heard that this season was going to be essentially another All Stars I decided that I needed to check it out. I waited to see if finally Rob's fellow contestants would be smart enough to avoid his mind traps, and as I waited to see what would happen when his tribe, the "Villains" finally went to Tribal Council, I soon got hooked again.

I don't like Russell. He's a little troll. Thanks to him, my Thursdays just won't be the same. I'm sad, but I can't wait to see that tribe implode now that they've done what I was waiting for. Pardon my bad grammar. Mourning makes my participles dangle.

For now, enjoy a few more clips of Boston Rob: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. Sigh.





3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Russell!! I was sad to see Rob go however, the dynamic between the two was awesome. Dana and I have religiously watched every single season/episode of Survivor, and they are two of our favourite 'bad guys'. On the 'good guys' camp, we are big Rupert fans and also enjoy JT. Can't wait to see who wins this one. Go Russell go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pshaw! Colby has woken up from his coma, so I say he's going to take it all this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO COLBY is right! I loved Colby in season 2.

    Boston Rob is definitely my top "love to hate" Survivor and I'm sad to see him go... This season of survivor is almost enough to make me want cable again! (much easier than watching it later on the net - too many spoilers out there!)

    ReplyDelete