Sunday, March 14, 2010

Let Me Entertain You...

I have a fascination with the burlesque artist, Gypsy Rose Lee. It started when I first saw the 1993 tv movie Gypsy starring Bette Midler and Cynthia Gibb. I fell in love with that show, and it remains one of my all-time favourite musicals.

Then, as often happens when I see biographical shows, I started researching the real-life Gypsy. I wish there were more videos around to see what she was really like. I just happened to find this one tonight while I was trying to help a friend with embedding videos on his site. It's from the movie Stage Door Canteen, one of the only movies that Gypsy did as Louise Hovick, her real name. The clip shows an abbreviated version of her stage act.



A bit of a difference from today, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment