Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Corey Haim Dead at 38

I wasn't a real fan of "The Coreys". My  teenage crushes pre-NKOTB (do NOT judge me!) leaned more towards River Phoenix, Chad Allen and Sean Astin.

Still, I remember going to see License to Drive in the theatre purely because 16 magazine (or maybe Bop?) told me that The Coreys were absolutely dreamy in it. I remember watching Dream a Little Dream and just SO not getting it. Pretty much any movie that either of them were in, I had to see.

I also remember reading all of the articles in Tiger Beat (or was it Big Boppper?) about how The Coreys didn't do drugs, so neither should I. I was young, and I was naive, and I believed it. After all, how could someone so young and so cute be a drug addict?

Of course, I was wrong. Both of The Coreys later admitted to drug problems, but it was Corey Haim who sadly couldn't overcome them. There are some pictures of him out there from the past decade that are just plain sad, to tell the truth. Bloated, overweight and looking like someone you might pass sitting on Queen St. West with a sign asking for spare change.

He seemed to want it so badly: the acceptance and the success, but he just couldn't quite get it. And honestly, when faced with that kind of rejection, who wouldn't go back to the one thing that made you feel better, even if only superficially?

I just feel sad right now. There is nothing more I hate than to see a life wasted, and this was truly a life wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment