Thursday, August 5, 2010

Love Prevails

I was out at the gym last night. Yay me! But, of course that means I come home to the Twitter timeline from Hell. This time, it was okay, though.

Because everywhere in my timeline there were posts praising the court judgement against Prop H8 in California. From Ellen DeGeneres to the random moms that I follow, to friends I've known for years, it seemed everyone was happy. Of course, I'm guessing that if anyone WAS for Prop H8, then they weren't likely going to speak up too much anyway.

Gay marriage has been legal in Canada for five years now. It's just a fact of life. Our families haven't fallen apart. Our children haven't been "indoctrinated" and I doubt that anyone has been converted by "The Gay Agenda."

When will the H8ers realize that it's none of their business who other people love? Pierre Trudeau said so long ago that the government had no business in the nation's bedrooms. It has no business in the people's marriages, either. Let us marry (or divorce, as the case may be) who we want.

I don't know what will happen when this case in California goes to appeal (and I'm sure that it will), but I'm still hopeful that eventually California, and the rest of the US, will figure out that it is so much easier to love than it is to hate. Hate takes up way too much energy. Love only GIVES energy.

2 comments:

  1. Gay marriages have been legal here for years, when I first read this story I couldn't believe California was so behind the times. Someone please drag the US into the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely ridiculous. I don't see what business it is of anyone else's who is married to whom. People used to be against interracial marriages, too. It didn't make them right.

    ReplyDelete